Sunday, February 9, 2014

Simple Jello Poke Cake

While this is a simple recipe, it's a very popular one with the folks I hang out with. 

Makes for an easy dessert and can be made ahead too.  Perfect for
Valentine's Day! 

I made this recently for overnight company, and they BOTH told me they went to bed thinking about this cake! 

Normally I use a white or yellow cake mix, though I've made a 'black forest' cake using chocolate cake mix and cherry jello...MMMM!

But I had a strawberry cake on hand, so I also used strawberry jello.  My company said it tasted like strawberry shortcake



And I LOVE that you can use a sugar free cake mix, jello & Cool Whip, 
if need be. (Lite Cool Whip has very little sugar in it)

Or you could use this easy recipe for 3-ingredient 7-Up Cake to lighten a regular cake mix. You could also mix a box of instant pudding with 1-1/2 c. milk and use as a topping (mix some cool whip into if desired).

LOTS of options here! 

And did I mention?....A lovely...yes, VERY lovely treat for your favorite Valentine!...sugar or no sugar.


JELLO POKE CAKE 

1(18 ozs) box cake mix, any flavor
ingredients for mixing cake
1 sm.(4 serv.) box (sugar free) red jello
(any color/flavor is fine)
1 c. boiling water
1/2 c. cold water
1 (8 ozs) container frozen whipped topping, thawed 

Mix and bake cake according to box instructions, baking in a 9" X 13" baking pan. Cool about 30 minutes. After removing cake from oven, I mix the jello and boiling water, stirring until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water. 
Let stand until ready to use. 

Using a large pronged fork, poke holes evenly over the top of the cooled cake.  Pour jello over cake, filling all the 'holes' as you go. Refrigerate 2 hours. 

Frost with whipped topping; garnish with fresh fruit 
(to match your jello flavor, if desired). Store covered in the fridge. 


Linked to 
Meal Plan Monday



If you like this moist cake recipe, you'll probably love this one too..
Mom's Favorite Granny (Pineapple) Cake




Print Friendly and PDF

No comments :

Post a Comment

Printfriendly